Sunday, November 1, 2009

Inferiority

What does it mean to feel inferior?

To feel inferior is not the same as recognizing that one is as good or bad at something as another. To feel inferior, one must nod one's head and say "Yes, that person is better than me, and therefore more worthy." You must be comparing yourself to others in the first place, when really, there is nothing to compare. As we go about our day to day existence, we are constantly seeing other people and subconsciously comparing ourselves to them -- our self-perceived faults and imperfections against theirs. But there is a key word here: self-perceived. Also, it is impossible to tell if a person is also looking at us and feeling inferior; the very person who is making us feel bad (just by existing, mind you), may also be feeling bad because of us. Silly, isn't it?

And what does "being the best" even gain us? It is just another trick of the ego and mind. Being the best means being recognized by those who are less than you, and in all truth, I would hate for anyone to feel less than me. I would hate for anyone to look at me, then look at themselves and think -- "She is so much better than me. I am worthless." Instead, I would like others to look upon me and think "I think she is amazing, and she loves me -- so what does that make me?" Something special, unique, and strong. When I see people, I do not see their faults; I see their potential. Likewise, I should look at myself and see only my potential. There is no need to feel inferior to anyone, because inferiority is ultimately just as illusory as superiority. We are all here, equally part of existence. The experience of that equality is love. To truly believe we are equal, we must love everyone, even ourselves, and remove ourselves from the pulls of the ego, of our draw to labeling ourselves either better or worse, inferior or superior, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment