Thursday, September 16, 2010

Debts Forgiven: An Answered Prayer

My father passed away about a year and a half ago, leaving my brother and I with close to $50,000 in debt, credit cards and student loans combined.

I was baptized last February and attended a sermon at Church which talked about God as the "forgiver of debts." The sermon stressed that we should forgive the debts of others that God may forgive our debts. I have always been very generous in forgiving others (for more than just financial debts), and so I began praying: "Please God, forgive my father's debts. Forgive my father's debts because he forgave the debts of others." I've prayed this more than a few times over the past months.

A month ago, my brother was notified by Sally Mae that because my father was the only signer on his student loans, he doesn't need to pay back any of the money. That's $30,000 that we don't need to pay!

And finally, today, I received a letter from our lawyer informing us that my father's biggest credit card debt, $13,000 with Chase, was misfiled with the court. The credit collectors had a 1 month window to file a creditor's claim with the court in order to collect the money from the estate. Otherwise their claim can be rejected by the estate and the debt dropped, forever.

Our lawyer wrote to us reporting that Chase misfiled the claim with the court. It wasn't filed within the 1-month window, and so we can reject it! That's $13,000 that we don't need to pay!

God, thank you, thank you, thank you for forgiving my father's debts! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Great testimony--or testimoney. The Lord is so faithful in things that we think we only can deal with. God is in the details of our lives.

    If you have a forgiving spirit, to me it makes sense that the Lord can erase financial burdens. "It is only through faith that we are able to please God." If faith is flowing through us, the Lord always works on our behalf.

    Praise the Lord! I like hearing about these little/big miracles in other people's lives. If someone picks me up hitchhiking and buys me a sandwich or kicks me down ten bucks, I am very grateful to the Lord for how He provides for me. Then I hear about what happened in your life, and I am very grateful for what the Lord is doing in your life.

    Your life is a blessing; your life is a sermon.

    ReplyDelete